Townsend's Solitaire, Mississauga a YES, Greater White-fronted Geese at Bronte not visible from Noon through 2 p.m.

Theresa Dobko dobko at rogers.com
Fri Jan 11 16:00:55 EST 2002

On our 2nd try we were finally successful at seeing the Townsend's
Solitaire, today, Friday around 11 a.m. (our sympathies to the male
birder who left just before it arrived).

I'm  writing because we observed it feeding on fruited trees (red
berries) a couple of houses away from the dead spruce commonly reported
and thought it might be helpful to let you know that location for future
spotting.

The Directions are:

Exit Hwy 401 at Winston Churchill Blvd, proceed south to Derry Road.
 Turn right (west) on Derry Road to Danton Promenade.  Go south on
Danton until you see the entrance of Plum Tree Park.  You can park
nearby and walk through the Plum Tree Park and around the block
surrounding the park to look for the Townsend's, but many people have
reported it to be found atop a dead spruce best visible from Hickling,
one street east of Danton Promenade.  Today we saw the Townsend's in the
trees in the front yard of 3081 Hickling at the corner of Hickling and
Vanderbilt, a couple of houses away from the dead spruce and on the same
side of the street.  We parked across the street with a good view of the
spruce and 3081 and watched it for a good 15 minutes as it ate.
 Wonderful views of it through a scope but it was also visible with
binoculars.  It is camoflaged well in that tree!

Good Luck,

Theresa Dobko
dobko at rogers.com
and