Kingston Field Naturalists Sightings for Week Ending Jan.14, 2002

Robert Sachs rsachs at sprint.ca
Mon Jan 14 13:02:11 EST 2002

RARE BIRD SIGHTING

On Jan. 13, Bruce Di Labio found a PURPLE SANDPIPER on WOLFE I. at Reeds
Bay. See more detail under Wolfe I. sightings below.

AMHERST I. [page 36, quad E54 & 55]

Bruce Di Labio reported: "On January 12th we observed 13 SNOWY OWLS on
Amherst Island, 6 near the east end (KFN property) and others scattered
around the island. Also at the east end were 8 SHORT-EARED OWLS, while the
"Owl Woods" had at least 2 N. SAW-WHET OWLS. Overall the hawk numbers were
good with 20 RED-TAILED, 11 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS and 12 AM. KESTRELS.
Waterfowl were present along the east point (KFN) and the south shore with 6
TUNDRA SWANS, 30 GADWALL, 1 REDHEAD and 7 GR. SCAUP."

BATH [pge 36, quad E54]

Alex Scott reported on Jan. 8: "We had another HOARY REDPOLL at our feeder
in Bath today. This time, one of 3 REDPOLLS at the feeder at the time, and
again the others will not tolerate the Hoary on the feeder. Like the others
I've been able to identify, this HOARY sat with its wings drooped to the
side making the clear, white rump easily visible. It also has clear,
completely unmarked under-tail coverts."

PR. EDW. POINT [pge 35, quad G52 & G53]

Ron Weir reported on Jan 13, that while working on the Winter Waterfowl
Count, he and others had found the HARLEQUIN DUCK on the south shore of the
point. They also counted over 30,000 LONG-TAILED DUCKS.

WOLFE I. [page 35, quad E56 & E57]

Bruce Di Labio reported: "On January 13th we visited Wolfe Island and found
smaller numbers of hawks & owls than on Amherst I., (possibly due to the
extreme strong winds) with only 5 SNOWY OWLS, 3 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 1 AM.
KESTREL, 1 N. HARRIER and 3 BALD EAGLES. Waterfowl numbers were more
impressive with 175 TUNDRA SWAN, 38 GADWALL, 9 AM. WIGEON, 2 N. PINTAIL, 108
REDHEAD and 67 GR. SCAUP. The biggest surprise was a PURPLE SANDPIPER at
Reeds Bay. The bird was along the shore line opposite house #153 on Reed's
Bay Drive. The bird was very nervous, flying along the shoreline numerous
times and then settling for a few minutes.

OTHER SIGHTINGS

On Jan. 13, Jay McMahan and I did Winter Waterfowl counting from Fineview,
Wellesley I. NY to Howe I. Ontario. The highlight was seeing 6 BALD EAGLES
harassing a huge flock of 7,000 C. MERGANSERS. They were seen from the west
end of the River Rd. which loops south from the Thousand Islands Parkway
halfway between Ivy Lea and Gananoque.

BALD EAGLES are reported by others: 4 near Otter Lake by Anne Robertson, 8
more by Shirley Tregenza from Lower Brewers Locks up to Buck Lake and the
Narrows Locks on Big Rideau Lake.
At Cartwright Point on Jan. 14, a male PILEATED WOODPECKER worked his way
down the Point past #14 The Point Rd. We have not seen the Woodpecker Lane
SCREECH OWL this past windy cloudy few days.

Compiled by Bob Sachs, Kingston ON
<rsachs at sprint.ca>

"Robert Sachs" <rsachs at sprint.ca>