OFO Petroglyphs Trip

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 15 23:15:01 EST 2002

Hi Ontbirders,

Geoff Carpentier asked me to post his trip report because he is unable to
access his Ontbirds computer.

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, 17 OFO members, led by Geoff Carpentier,
visited the Petroglyphs Provincial park and environs. The park was somewhat
quiet but the weather was pleasant and snow cover minimal. Highlights
included: Common Raven, Ruffed Grouse, Pine Siskin, Evening Grosbeak, and
Barred Owl.  There were lots of signs that Black-backed Woodpeckers were
about, but we couldn't actually find a bird - hmpffff!

 From here, thanks to the kind cooperation of Unimin Corporation, we
visited their private landfill on the "Ridge" and were treated to killer
... in your face .... why do I do this stuff? ..... winds and a wind chill
of minus a lot!!- and two Bald Eagles - one adult and one juvenile
[probably 2nd year].

Other birds seen on the way home included Pileated Woodpecker, Snow
Buntings and Northern Shrike [2]. The latter is significant as they are
scarce this year.

I hope everyone had a pleasant day and is fully thawed now.

Geoff Carpentier
Ajax, Ontario

Jean Iron <jeaniron at sympatico.ca>