Townsend's Solitaire - Niagara County, NY

Willie D'Anna dannapotter at wzrd.com
Sat Jan 19 20:26:26 EST 2002

The Solitaire was seen around 3:00 this Saturday afternoon and at another
time in the afternoon.  Both sightings were of the bird in and near the red
berry bushes on the west side of the lane, about 100 yards south of the
road.  The bird was seen to fly across the orchard from there,  and appeared
to fly into the conifers on the southern edge of the orchard.  However, it
could not be relocated.

DIRECTIONS to the Solitaire:
> From I-190 in Buffalo or Niagara Falls, proceed north to Rt. 104
eastbound.
> Ontario birders should cross at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge and
> immediately exit after customs, following the signs to Rt 104 eastbound.
> Stay on Rt 104 eastbound when you reach the Village of Lewiston at the
> bottom of the escarpment - you have to exit the limited  access highway.
> Proceed east about 4 miles to Dickersonville Road (there is a church on
the
> southeast corner) and turn right (south).  In about 1/4 mile, the road
will
> bend to the left and soon will pass Blacknose Spring Road, which comes
down
> off of the escarpment on your right.  Proceed another 150 yards or so to
the
> first road (a dirt lane) on your right.  It is across the street from the
> second house on your left.  Pull over here without blocking the lane.
There
> is an old sign saying, "Private Property No Trespassing" but I have it on
> good authority that the sign is intended for vehicles only.  This is
county
> parkland.  Walk down the lane which runs north-south and start looking for
the Solitaire right away
> as the habitat is good.  As you walk, there will be water on both sides of
> the road.  When the water begins to widen on your right, after about 100
> yards, is where I first saw the bird on the right side.  This spot also
> gives a good view over the water to your left.  The bird has been seen
> several times eating red berries here as well.  A little further down the
> lane, the water ends on both sides of the road and there is a small
> inconspicuous path on your right.  We had excellent looks at the bird from
> this path once.  Several times, the bird was in the conifers along the
edges of the small orchard that is
> just a few more yards down the lane on your
> left.

Good birding!
Willie
--------