Fwd: Request for images of broods and hens

Lindsay Armer smoky_the_bear at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:14:20 EST 2002

Dear Ontbirders,
I received this email and though that it may be a good opportunity for any
avid bird-photographers (good and bad!) to submit their work for a good
cause and get credit for it.
Cheers,
Lindsay Armer
smoky_the_bear at hotmail.com)
(I hope that I haven't broken the ontbird posting rules?)
Subject: Request for images of broods and hens
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:19:55 -0700

Hello,
I am organizing the development of training software for water bird ID for
DUC (Ducks Unlimited Canada), western boreal forest program. We use the
services of many observers during the field season and are in need of
training tools to improve ID skills. We are in the process of developing a
flash card type program showing a picture of a Hen, Drake or brood and then
asking questions such as, species, sex, age class for brood. Its kind of
crude at the moment, but this year is development of a prototype, but we
plan farther development in
the future and would be happy to provide contributors a copy of any product
developed and any future updates/improvements.

I am requesting pictures in any format (digital, slide or print) that we
could use in the program. We are really in need of brood pictures and
hens,we are also looking for pictures of water birds other than just
waterfowl that are commonly encountered including loons, grebes and
shorebirds. We are training observers for Aerial surveys so any distant
shots and birds from above would be great, I just ask that you provide the
species information with the image. The pictures do not have to be prefect,
in fact we have lots of nice drake pictures in the DU library, what I am
really after are images that are not so common, groups of birds that don't
fill the frame, birds flushing from water, shots you likely threw away. I
can assure you that your
photos will go to a good cause. I will return any slides or prints that are
sent to us with a request to return them and I can have your name inscribed
on them as copyright if you desire. All contributors with will acknowledged
within the program and otherwise. I appreciate your time in reading this and
will answer any questions that you may have. Fell free to contact me at any
time. Also, if anyone knows of training material for aerial survey observers
please pass that information along to me. Please forward this request along
to anyone that you think might be willing to send images.
Thanks again

Keith A. Patton
k_patton at ducks.ca
Conservation Biologist