Lewis's Woodpecker near Wooler

Ken Ashton kea at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 27 10:14:45 EST 2002

Ont Birders

I have just returned from viewing the Lewis's Woodpecker near Wooler.
Arrived at approximately 9:20 am and along with several other birders who
had arrived before me had excellent views of the bird.  It was feeding on
suet from a feeder on the North side of the house and flying to and from an
oak tree on the south side of the house.  We speculated that it was possibly
caching food in the bark of the oak.  The bird was very active, but quite
easy to find.  It can be seen with binoculars, but a scope is a better
option for really good views.

Directions (per Don Shanahan's posting)
Wooler is located northeast of Brighton and is accessed by departing the 401
at exit 522 and travelling northwest on county road 40. At Wooler, this road
becomes county road 5.  Drive through Wooler, where the road turns sharply
to the right and shortly thereafter you will encounter St. Alphonsus
Catholic Church (#
118 on the north side of the road). Approximately .9 km past the church, you
will find Teal Road where you turn right or south. After a very short
distance, turn left on Leavitt Road (this is really a farm lane and isn't
marked on the MapArt Ontario Road Atlas). All three homes on this road have
feeders where the bird has been seen; however, it spends most of its time at
the end of Leavitt Rd. at # 76. This is the home of Jean and Homer Leavitt
who welcome birders with several provisos.  The bird frequents feeders on
the north side of the house and is very skittish (much like the Carman Road
bird of June 2000). The Leavitts suggest that birders not proceed past the
picnic table bearing the blue 911 sign with the number 76. The feeders are
visible from this spot and the bird can be easily looked at with binoculars
or scopes from here.
The Leavitts do not want people walking on their lawn or about their house.
As Leavitt Road is a farm lane it is muddy and narrow. As a result, it would
serve everyone well if birders would park farther back along the road and
walk to the picnic table area.

"Ken Ashton" <kea at sympatico.ca>