Pileated, 2 W-w Crossbills -Hall's Rd., Whitby, Jan.26

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sun Jan 27 11:24:04 EST 2002

Between the periodic soar-bys (!!) of a Red-tailed Hawk great numbers of
House Finches appeared to partake of the feed in the trays set out at the
entry to the north pathway to Cranberry marsh along Hall's Rd. Among these
voracious avians were 2 White-winged Crossbills, a male and a female--they
would individually come to the feeder, not 3m. away from the car, claim some
form of territoriality for as much as 5 minutes, then fly up into a shrub,
"permitting" the finches to come in.

Further up the road, at 0930. I was fortunate to see the RTH swoop down,
flushing a female Pileated Woodpecker from a hidden trunk, the latter flying
off towards Lynde Shores woodlot.

At the marsh edge I noted Am.Tree Sparrows, a few Song Sparrows and one
Swamp Sparrow.

Hall's Rd. runs south from Victoria St. and is one block east of Lakeridge
Rd. in southwest Whitby. ON

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, Ontario

"Doug Lockrey" <lockrey33 at rogers.com>