LONG-EARED OWL, SNOWY OWL, ICELAND GULL near Lindsay

BRLA Environment Center brla_birds at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:17:24 EST 2002

Hello

Saturday January 26th and Sunday January 27 were both good days for birds
around the Lindsay area.  On Saturday a day long trip to the Kenri
conservation area produced a variety of winter birds.  As usual the
Chickadees were the most common, however Brown Creepers, Red-breasted
Nuthatches, Golden-crowned Kinglets and a small flock of Ceder Waxwings were
all seen (no Bohemian's).  As usual on the drive though town several
Red-tailed Hawks were seen.

Sunday was an even better day.  At around 11:00 saturday we decided to go
for a midnight walk in search of owls.  Though we could find no owls in the
Kenri, we did see one owl.  On the drive back to Lindsay a LONG-EARED OWL
was seen perched near the road in an open field.  The bird allowed a good
view (even though it was at night) and as usual with owls allowed a very
close approach.  Later that day a trip to the local Sewage lagoon produced
the usual Herring, Ring-billed and Great Black-backed gulls frequenting the
nearby landfill, as well as a immature ICELAND GULL.  The Highlight of the
day was a SNOWY OWL seen just east of Lindsay near the new super jail.  The
owl was quite conspicuous sitting far out in the field on a fence post.
Though the distance was great between the owl and us it was a good sighting.
  Again several Red-tailed Hawks were also seen in and around Lindsay.

That's the birds from another good weekend spent around the Lindsay area.

Chris Heffernan