Scaup, Redheads, etc. on St. Clair River

Blake Mann boatmann at kent.net
Mon Jan 28 22:04:09 EST 2002

Hi everyone,
Certainly not much to report on the main part of the St. Clair River this
winter.  (The fewest number of ducks I've seen in my 15 years of birding
here).   There has been a nice raft of diving ducks just south of Sombra in
the same spot for over three weeks now.  This is the only significant raft
of ducks found on the river recently (and its not much!).  It is at the
McKeough Floodway outlet just across from Fawn Island.  It contains over 100
Redhead, a few Canvasback, a couple of dozen Lesser Scaup, a couple of
Greater Scaup, about 10 Ring-necked Ducks, and the odd common Merganser.
Good numbers of Bufflehead can be seen in Sombra Bay, as well as Mallard and
Common Goldeneye.  As a side note, there has been a Common Loon hanging
about near the "Stilt spot on the Snye" south of Port Lambton.  As well, a
nice adult Red-shouldered Hawk has been wintering in the vicinity.

Directions to Sombra and St. Clair River:  Find Hwy 40 which runs N/S
between Sarnia and Wallaceburg.  Turn west on Lambton Rd. 2 (Bentpath Line)
and take to
Sombra on the river.  Sombra Bay is right in front of you.  Fawn Island is
just to the south of the village.  The St. Clair Parkway (Rd. 33) follows
the river along its length.

Blake   Mann,
Wallaceburg,
Chatham-Kent, Ont.