Niagara to RBG Dec 28 & 29- King Eiders, gulls, Horned Grebe etc.

Brandon Holden skholden at attcanada.ca
Wed Jan 30 08:45:20 EST 2002

Ontbirders,

    Yesterday and today, my father and I birded the Niagara River to the
Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington. We started off at the Niagara River
on the 28th. The highlights were:
                                     Above the falls:  2 Little Gulls
                                     The Gorge:  Little Gull-1, Horned
Grebe-2, American Coot-1
                                     Adam Beck- Iceland Gull-5, Lesser
Black-backed Gull-1

    After that we went to Jordan Harbour where we successfully found the
female KING EIDER near the mouth of the Harbour. It was in a large group of
Scaup and Redheads. While here we also say many Surf and White-winged
Scooters.

    On the 29th we started off at Green Road. We soon saw a 1st year Male
KING EIDER in with a large flock of Long-tailed Ducks ( 2 King Eiders in 2
days!). There was also many other species of waterfowl including
White-winged Scooter.

    Later we went to Windemere Basin and the Tollgate Ponds. Here the
highlights were Double-crested Cormorant, Ring-necked Duck, Northern
Pintail, Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Duck and Northern Shoveler.  We ended the
day at the RBG trails in Burlington. Highlights were Great-blue Heron,
Pileated Woodpecker and 2 White-throated Sparrows.

    Good Birding

Brandon and Eric Holden

Jordan Harbour Directions: Best Western Motel between Jordan Harbor and
Vineland. Exit
QEW at Victoria
Ave (Hwy 24), take north Service Road about 1 km to Best Western, park at
far west end and scan ducks off to the northwest.

Directions: Green rd. is reached by exiting off the QEW Niagara at Hwy 20
North, towards the lake. Turn right on North Service Rd. east and turn onto
Drakes Rd. Turn right at the stop sign and on over to Green Rd.

"Brandon Holden" <skholden at attcanada.ca>