Lewis' and Bl .B. Woodpeckers +++

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:12:55 EST 2002

Hi all!
    I had a long, tiring but quite productive day of winter birding
yesterday. Checked out Presq'ile first, only saw the usual offshore ducks,
but on the way out at Ontario St.#139 had a small, all female, flock of 8
Pine Grosbeaks about 8:15 am. Heading to Wooler by way of Telephone Rd. and
after crossing Hwy 401 saw about 20 Wild Turkeys near Brighton Dump -
quickly looked over the gulls but did not find anything of note. At the
corner of Carman and Murray Rds. - saw a large flock of(200+) Redpolls in
the orchard and scoping them found 2/3 Hoary.
  The Lewis' Woodpecker was calling and quite easy to find - great
directions - and by 9:15 I was on my way to McTier.  On County Rd. #21 about
1 km. east of Dundonald at #14195 - had an adult N.Shrike - roadside. Did
not see much of note along 401, 115/35, 35, 7 - moving too fast - but west
of Orillia on Hwy 12 saw another small group of 7 Pine Grosbeaks with just 1
young male this time.
  At McTier after 1:00 pm, I too found just 2 BB and 2 Hairy
Woodpeckers(these were also on BB stripped trees). Frank was heading out as
I was still heading in on #11 and we stopped, exchanged pleasantries and
compared notes. I turned around shortly thereafter and found 2 Ruffed Grouse
about 30 ft.up in an old birch. I saw Frank's vehicle pulled over and he got
out to advise me of the Barred Owl beside him. Superb viewing and a great
big thanks to Frank and Sally for finding this gorgeous bird.
I saw a couple of Ravens south of McTier on #69 and then an adult Bald Eagle
soaring to the west near Musquatch(?) River - Iroquois Cranberries sign -
where the road becomes 4 lanes. I just managed to get back to Oakville for
my 5:45pm Dr.appt.

  Winter List - 132       2002 - 111

Maris Apse - (OFO SALES)
511 Chamberlain Lane, Oakville ON L6J 6A2
HOME - 905-338-0318
SCHOOL - 416-393-1510 EXT.20041
FAX - 416-393-8172