Townsend's Solitaire - Niagara County, NY

Willie D'Anna dannapotter at wzrd.com
Thu Jan 31 19:46:33 EST 2002

As more and more people have seen this bird, reports have been fewer but it
is still being seen - as recently as Tuesday, anyway.  Almost all reports of
late have had the bird either in or near the red berry bushes (multifloral
rose and highbush cranberry) which are on the west side of the lane, about
100 yards in from the road where you park.  Success rates have been pretty
good of late but I think weekenders are having more difficulty.  To improve
your chances, it is best not to walk up and down the lane very much but
stand away from the berry bushes and wait quietly, or walk around the small
orchard or elsewhere in the park.

DIRECTIONS to the Solitaire:
> From I-190 in Buffalo or Niagara Falls, proceed north to Rt. 104
eastbound.
> Ontario birders should cross at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge and
> immediately exit after customs, following the signs to Rt 104 eastbound.
> Stay on Rt 104 eastbound when you reach the Village of Lewiston at the
> bottom of the escarpment - you have to exit the limited  access highway.
> Proceed east about 4 miles to Dickersonville Road (there is a church on
the
> southeast corner) and turn right (south).  In about 1/4 mile, the road
will
> bend to the left and soon will pass Blacknose Spring Road, which comes
down
> off of the escarpment on your right.  Proceed another 150 yards or so to
the
> first road (a dirt lane) on your right.  It is across the street from the
> second house on your left.  Pull over here without blocking the lane.
There
> is an old sign saying, "Private Property No Trespassing" but I have it on
> good authority that the sign is intended for vehicles only.  This is
county
> parkland.  Walk down the lane which runs north-south and start looking for
the Solitaire right away
> as the habitat is good.  As you walk, there will be water on both sides of
> the road.  When the water begins to widen on your right, after about 100
> yards, is where I first saw the bird on the right side.  This spot also
> gives a good view over the water to your left.  The bird has been seen
> several times eating red berries right by the lane on the west side as
well.  A little further down the
> lane, the water ends on both sides of the road and there is a small
> inconspicuous path on your right.  We had excellent looks at the bird from
> this path once.  Several times, the bird was in the conifers along the
edges of the small orchard that is
> just a few more yards down the lane on your
> left.

Good birding!
Willie
--------