Rondeau Deer Count

Sandy and Myrna Dobbyn smdobbyn at netrover.com
Fri Feb 1 00:01:14 EST 2002

Hi Ontbirders!

I am posting this with Mark's permission.

Rondeau Provincial Park is looking for volunteers for its annual Deer Count!

Join us Tuesday, February 19, 2002 (rain date-Feb. 20th) and help count the
deer!

We need as many volunteers as we can get to conduct a thorough count of the
park's deer population. You can help by joining other naturalists and
spending a day traveling the back country of Rondeau. We will form a line
of people, and push the deer past another line of volunteer counters.

During the count you will get to see areas of the park that you would
otherwise not get to see, and should see lots of interesting birds while
you go. Last year several Pileated Woodpeckers traveled back and forth
along the line, many volunteers saw Great-horned Owls and Eagles, and this
year there are lots of Carolina Wrens to see and hear.

We will be meeting at 8:30 am at the Rondeau Provincial Park Maintenance
Warehouse. Lunch will be served after we are done (usually early afternoon).

To register you need to email julie.plouffe at mnr.gov.on.ca or call
519-674-1750 by February 15. Should you have any dietary needs (i.e.
vegetarian) please advise upon registration. Volunteers will be walking
fairly long distances, so be sure you are ready for a strenuous day.

For more details including directions to the park, and a list of what to
bring, check the friends of Rondeau Website at
http://www.rondeauprovincialpark.ca - there are two different links on the
main page that will take you to the deer count page.

I hope to see you there!

Sandy Dobbyn, Park Naturalist.
Jon (Sandy) Dobbyn and Myrna Dobbyn
P.O. Box 1393 Blenheim, ON CANADA