GREAT BLUE HERON & COURTSHIP DISPLAY BY COMMON GOLDENEYES in Newcastle

Markus J. Lise markusonmill at speedline.ca
Fri Feb 1 18:22:27 EST 2002

Hello Fellow Birders,

I sighted the first three COMMON GOLDENEYES doing their courtship display in
Lake Ontario on Wednesday of this week.  Earlier in the week I saw four LONG
TAILED DUCKS (OLDSQUAWS) in the lake by the end of Courtice Rd.

Several BUFFLE HEADS were swimming in the lake and diving for their food at
the end of Liberty St. Bowmanville.

I say one GREAT BLUE HERON braving the strong westerly winds today crossing
Highway # 115 north of Newcastle at noon today.  He was trying to fly west
with great difficulty.

50 COMMON REDPOLLS were at my feeders this week on a regular daily basis,
yes even during the storm and the strong winds today.

One WHITE THROATED SPARROW continues to enjoy picking away at the Niger seed
that has dropped on the ground just north of our house underneath the
Cranberry bush.

Two BROWN CREEPERS made their appearance last Sunday on the trees south of
our house.

Several JUNCOS, MOURNING DOVES, BLUE JAYS, NORTHERN CARDINALS, WHITE
BREASTED NUTHATCHES, HAIRY & DOWNY WOODPECKERS, HOUSE FINCHES & AMERICAN
GOLD FINCHES, AMERICAN CROWS & COOPERS HAWKS have been sighted regularly
around my house.

Periodically I see an AMERICAN KESTREL perched on the utility wires on
Gordon St. south of Whitby just before turning off on to the campus of
Whitby Mental Health Centre.

Directions:  Mill St. S. exit by Newcastle and where the road turns into a Y
keep a left till you get to my house at 590 Mill St. S. and on to the lake
for the water fowl.  Take Liberty St. S. by Bowmanville and drive to the
lake.  Take Courtice Rd. S. by Courtice and drive to the lake for the LONG
TAILED DUCKS.  Take Highway # 12 S. exit by Whitby and turn west on Victoria
till you get to Gordon and turn south till just before Whitby Mental Health
Centre entrance for the KESTREL.

Markus J. Lise
Newcastle, On

"Markus J. Lise" <markusonmill at speedline.ca>