Algonquin Park Birds

Ron rtozer at vianet.on.ca
Mon Feb 4 10:57:00 EST 2002

Hi Mark and Ontbirders:

We have been having a very quiet winter for finches in Algonquin Park, with
Pine Grosbeak and Common Redpoll being the only reliable species. Crossbills
are extremely scarce, if not absent. Only 12 White-wingeds and 1 Red were
seen on the Christmas Count (62 people out all day!). There are virtually no
cones.

As usual, the Opeongo Road (which you have to walk beyond the closed gate)
might produce Spruce Grouse, Gray Jay and Boreal Chickadee, with some chance
for Black-backed Woodpecker. Sprucebog trail may produce these birds, as
well. Four Spruce Grouse were seen there recently.

Black-backed Woodpecker was reported at the Western Uplands Backpacking
Trail entrance this past weekend.

Feeders at the East Gate and the Visitor Centre are worth checking for Pine
Grosbeaks and Common Redpolls. One or two HOARY REDPOLLS have been seen in
the Common Redpoll flocks at these feeders recently. Gray Jays may also be
seen around these feeders.

Good luck. I suggest that you follow the instructions provided by Tony Beck
for more information.

Algonquin Park is located east of Huntsville on Highway 60. Huntsville is
three hours north of Toronto via Highways 400 and 11. Locations in the park
can be found using the park tabloid map, which you can pick up at the gates
when you buy your day use permit.

Ron

Ron Tozer
Former Algonquin Park Naturalist