Lewis's Woodpecker. Wooler, seen today (Monday).

Ian Cannell cannell at rogers.com
Mon Feb 4 20:49:34 EST 2002

The Lewis's Woodpecker was seen by my wife and me and two others on
Leavitt's Lane near Wooler today at noon and on and off until 2:00 pm, when
we left.
When we first arrived, a birder from NY had been there for an hour without
seeing it. The other birder gave us a scare by saying a raptor had just
taken a bird from the feeder area at #76. Luckily the Lewis's showed up
shortly thereafter on a telephone pole across from #32(?) (the middle of the
three houses). It later came back to this same pole where it provided great
close-up views. I only saw it on the suet feeder (at the first house on the
corner with Teal Road) once, during the time we were there. In between we
spotted it three times in the large tree close to the road beside #32 and in
the large tree across the road from there. Maybe it was because of the
biting cold out there today, but the bird tended to stay very still against
the trunk, making it quite difficult to spot, given its dark back.

Lewis's Woodpecker Directions (based on Don Shanahan's posting)
Wooler is located northeast of Brighton and is accessed by departing the 401
at exit 522 and travelling northwest on county road 40.
At Wooler, this road becomes county road 5. Drive through Wooler, where the
road turns sharply to the right and shortly thereafter you will encounter
St. Alphonsus Catholic Church (#118 on the north side of the road).
Approximately .9 km past the church, you will find Teal Road where you turn
right or south.
After 1.9 km, turn right onto Leavitt Road (this is really a
farm lane and isn't marked on the MapArt Ontario Road Atlas). All three
homes on this road have feeders where the bird has been seen; however, it
spends most of its time at the end of Leavitt Rd. at # 76. This is the home
of Jean and Homer Leavitt who welcome birders with several provisos. The
bird frequents feeders on the north side of the house and is very skittish
(much like the Carman Road bird of June 2000). The Leavitts suggest that
birders not proceed past the picnic table bearing the blue 911 sign with the
number 76. The feeders are visible from this spot and the bird can be easily
looked at with binoculars or scopes from here.

IAN CANNELL, CONCORD, ONTARIO
Cannell at rogers.com

"Ian Cannell" <cannell at rogers.com>