Summer Tanager & dying redpolls

Chris cmichener at renc.igs.net
Tue Feb 5 14:33:21 EST 2002

Good Day, Ontbirds,

In Deep River, the female Summer Tanager which has been visiting the
backyard feeder since November, is still there and appears to be doing OK
except for the loss of several tail feathers. Her diet includes suet,
various seeds, peanuts & fresh fruit which Darlene Cotnam puts out for her
daily.

Directions are: going west through Deep River, go west of Tim Hortons to
Ridge Rd.  Turn right to stop sign, left on Frontenac.  Their house is 39
Frontenac (613-584-3473).

one goldfinch, too.  They were all feeding on niger seed.  This has
occurred over a few weeks in the Eganville area.  I suggested yesterday to
the last caller, she clean the feeder and put out oil seed instead.  If
they still die, then it must be a transmitted disease.  If not, the niger
may be contaminated.

more later,
Chris Michener
Golden Lake