Smith's Longspur continues

Denis Lepage dlepage at bsc-eoc.org
Wed Feb 6 09:34:10 EST 2002

Good morning all,

The Smith's Longspur was still present this morning in Haggersville
and provided excellent looks from close up. We were there from
about 7 to 8:30 am and the bird came along the road a couple of
times.

The first time, it left the group of Snow Buntings it was hanging out
with towards the north end of the field and flew in close to us with a
Lapland Longspur. After a few minutes, a car passed by and the
bird flew back with the Buntings.

Later, the flock of about 60 buntings came up close, joined by a
group of larks, but the without the Smith's.

Finally, we relocated it with a small group of larks along the road,
just meters east of the bridge. Again, when a car passed by, and
although the larks came back to the road, the longspur left and
landed amongst the buntings again.

If you are patient, your best chance of seeing it from up close is
probably to wait until the birds come to get some grits on the road,
which they seem to do on a regular basis. It's worth noting that it is
actually possible to locate it at a good distance, given its warm buff
colour, and you just have to wait for it to make it's move towards
you.

Good luck to those who haven't seen it yet.
Denis Lepage

Denis Lepage - Senior Scientist, National Data Center
Bird Studies Canada - Études d'oiseaux Canada
PO Box 160, Port Rowan (Ontario) N0E 1M0
1-888-448-BIRD; 1-519-586-3531; fax 1-519-586-3532
http://www.bsc-eoc.org/links/index.html
"Denis Lepage" <dlepage at bsc-eoc.org>