OVENBIRD-Sunnybrook Park, Toronto

George Bryant naturalhistorytravel at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 6 18:56:30 EST 2002

Prior to a 10 am TFN outing to-day, I checked out the park’s heated
washrooms. At 9:30 a.m., there was an OVENBIRD basking in the sun inches in
front of the transom of the Men’s door, from which warm air was wafting.
Seldom have I had better views of an Ovenbird—in full sun against a
background of snow. The bird took off and I was unable to show it to the
group.

But, at 12:30 pm, we re-discovered the bird about 100 metres north of the
building.  It was under a Norway Spruce by the path eating peanuts cast from
a nearby feeder. From there it flew west to an embankment where stumps and
leaf litter protruded from the snow.

I suspect this bird has been here all winter--Thursday’s snowfall
drastically reduced its food supply and made it more visible. It is
favouring its left leg.

Directions to Sunnybrook Park.  From the intersection of The Don Valley
Parkway and Eglinton Avenue, proceed west ~2 kms. to Leslie Street and north
100 metres to the park entrance on your left (west). The washroom building
is 200 metres ahead beside the road.

George Bryant
89 Constance Street,
Toronto, M6R 1S7