Smith's Longspur at Haggersville

Keith Burk keith.burk at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 7 23:18:46 EST 2002

Hi all,

After deciding not to go on Sunday (prior commitments), I decided to
head down this afternoon. When I arrived, I had only been there two
minutes and saw the bird right away on the road. It took off and called
several times. I didn't get a great look, but knew exactly what it was.
Deciding on getting a better look, I walked out into the field and
within 10 minutes it flushed out of one of the weed patches and flew
around for a bit. I stood in the same spot, and watched as it flew back
and landed right beside me. I was able to get as close as 10 feet,
ofcourse no camera! At least this is one I don't have to go north to
get. It was all by itself the whole time I watched it.

On the way home there were 6 Wild Turkeys in a field just east of Delhi
on highway 3. These were life birds for me, although I have seen several
recently released birds near Rondeau.

Jim Burk
Blenheim, On.

Keith Burk <keith.burk at sympatico.ca>