Common Loons - Col Sam Smith Park, Etobicoke - Feb 8

Frank Pinilla frankpinilla at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 16:10:51 EST 2002

Hi All,

I was able to head to Col Sam Smith Park at lunchtime today and while
standing out at the south east tip (where the lighthouse used to be), I saw
2 COMMON LOONS, one was only 20m off shore the other was about 150m away, to
the east.  Haven't seen any reports of these lately and thought the winter
listers may have missed them in December?  Also, just offshore was a
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER.  I did not find the Snowy Owl but did not walk all the
way out to the western end of the park.

Good Birding,

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

DIRECTIONS: Colonel Samuel Smith Park is at the south end of Kipling Avenue
in Etobicoke, exit Kipling Avenue south from the Gardiner Expressway west of
Toronto.  Continue south through the lights at Lakeshore Blvd and follow the
road all the way to the end, you can park in the last parking lot and walk
out to view the lake.