Barrow's Goldeneye, Stoney Creek Thayer's & Lesser Black-backed Niagara - Feb 9

Frank Pinilla frankpinilla at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 15:13:42 EST 2002

Hi All,

I did a quick sweep across the south shore of Lake Ontario in Niagara Region
as well as a quick stop in a few spots along the Niagara River.

Stopping first at Grays Road & Lawrence Sayers Park in Stoney Creek I found
50+ SURF SCOTER, 10+ WHITE-WINGED SCOTER & 5 BLACK SCOTER.  Also in the
various flocks of COMMON GOLDENEYE, I found 1 adult male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE
off Lawrence Sayers.  Is it my imagination or have the RED-BREASTED
MERGANSERS returned in force?  I saw many more today than I have all winter,
many of the ducks are displaying, especially the RB Mergs & C. Goldeneye.
Off Fruitland Road there was a gigantic flock of LONG-TAILED DUCK well out
on the lake, I would hazard a guess of over 10,000 ducks, being
conservative, plus another 30+ WHITE-WINGED SCOTER & 500+ GREATER SCAUP.
I could not find any King Eiders at Jordan Harbour but did have 20 REDHEAD &
1 male LESSER SCAUP.
At Adam Beck Generating Station I could not find the California Gull but did
have a nice 1st winter THAYER'S GULL as well as 4 ICELAND GULL (2Ad, 2 1st
winter) and a small number of BONAPARTE'S GULLS.
Above the falls were 2 adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS, 1 adult GLAUCOUS
GULL & 3 more ICELAND GULLS.  At Dufferin Islands Park were breeding plumage
males of WOOD DUCK & GREEN-WINGED TEAL.
At Queenston Boat Ramp were 2 adult LITTLE GULLS amongst the 1,000+
BONAPARTE'S GULLS.

Good Birding,

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

DIRECTIONS:
Grays Road/Lawrence Sayers Park - exit QEW (going toward Niagara) at exit 88
(Centennial Parkway) and go to the North Service Rd. go east to Drakes Road,
go north and follow signs to Grays Road, turn towards the lake (north) and
stop at the end.  A better view is from the parkette (Lawrence Sayers),
which is 200m east of Grays Rd.

Fruitland Rd - exit QEW at Fruitland Road (exit #83) and head north to the
end which overlooks the lake.

Jordan Harbour - exit QEW at Jordan Rd and go to the 3-masted ship which
overlooks the harbour.

Adam Beck Overlook - exit QEW at Hwy 405 to Queenston, go to Niagara Parkway
and pull off at the parking lot overlooking the river and the generating
stations (Adam Beck on Ontario side & Robert Moses on New York side).

Dufferin Islands - small pakr just south of Horseshoe Falls, enter off
Niagara Parkway.

Queenston Boat Ramp - from Niagara Parkway in Queenston, turn on Dumfries
St, follow down dirt road to the boat ramps.