Amherst Island - Owl Woods

Alex & Karen akscott at kos.net
Sat Feb 9 22:11:02 EST 2002

There are still 2 SAW-WHET OWLS in the Owl Woods.  I now believe these
are the same two that have been there all winter although they have
changed their locations and are now roosting relatively close to each
other.  There's no sign of any in the Cedar Woods now, and both have
moved to the east margin of the Pine Woods.

The number of LONG-EARED OWLS seems to be on the increase now though
with 6 in the Cedar Woods today and yesterday and at least 1 more in the
Pines.

At least 6 SNOWY OWLS on the east end of the Island, at least 2 of which
are very nice, almost totally white, adult males.  There were also at
least 6 SHORT-EARED OWLS on the east end across from the KFN property
and several more down along the south shore towards the road to the
ferry.

There is also an unconfirmed, 3rd hand report of a GREAT GRAY OWL just
north of Kingston but I've heard nothing about it from any reliable
source, and another rumour of a BARROW'S GOLDENEYE at the Millhaven
Ferry dock but all I could find was a single COMMON GOLDENEYE and a
female SCAUP feeding with numerous MALLARDS.  However, there was a male
BARROW'S GOLDENEYE found on the Amherst Island Christmas Count held on
January 5th.

Amherst Island is 16 km west of Kingston.  Take exit # 593 from Highway
401, proceed south on County Road  #4 (formerly Highway 133) to
Millhaven on Lake Ontario - the ferry dock is 200m west on Hwy. 33 (Bath

Road).   A round-trip costs $5.00.  The ferry leaves every hour on the
half-hour from 6:30 am onward.

To get to the "Owl Woods" after getting off the ferry:  take the first
left (east), drive 3 km along the north shore road (Front Road) to the
first southbound road called Marshall 40 foot Road (directly across the
road from the 2320 sign).  Proceed 1.3 km south to the S-curve.  Walk
north-east on the trails.  (Beware of killer Chickadees - Bring
sunflower seeds for hand feeding if at all possible!)

Alex. Scott
Bath

Alex & Karen <akscott at kos.net>