Little Gulls at Wheatley Harbour

Blake Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sun Feb 10 11:54:54 EST 2002

Hi Ontbirders,
I took a quick tour of the Wheatley area this morning to see the thousands
of gulls.  At the entrance to the harbour, I picked out 2 LITTLE GULLS among
the many hundreds of Bonaparte's.  There could be around a thousand
Bonaparte's, but they were spread out all over mixed in with Herring,
Ring-billed and Great Black-backed.  Other incidentals included 3 Pintail
ducks in the SW corner of Hillman Marsh, a Ring-necked Pheasant and a
Cooper's Hawk at the entrance to Hillman Marsh, and two large flocks of
Redhead Ducks flying by Wheatley.  On the way back, I stopped at St. Clair
NWA briefly and saw about 40 Am. Coots in some of the open water there,
which is unusual for this time of year.
Wheatley is at the Chatham-Kent/Essex border on old hwy 3.  The harbour is
found by going straight south on Rd. #1 from the main intersection.
Blake  Mann,
Wallaceburg,
Chatham-Kent, Ont.
email:  boatmann at kent.net