Townsend's Solitaire & Lens Cap

Willie D'Anna dannapotter at wzrd.com
Tue Feb 12 20:15:34 EST 2002

The Townsend's Solitaire in Bond Lake Park in Niagara County, NY was seen
very well this Tuesday morning by Dave Klauber in the multifloral rose
bushes at 7:30.  Dave said he walked up short of the berry bushes and was
waiting for 15 minutes when the Solitaire popped out of the rose bushes.  He
thinks it may have been roosting in them.  I also saw the bird between 3:45
and 4:15 in the conifers between the lake on the east side of the lane and
the small orchard (about 40 yards from the berry bushes).  I was only about
15 yards from the lane on the north side of the orchard when I saw him in
the conifer trees on my north side, silhouetted against the sky.  I had nice
scope views but got lousy digiscoped photos.  I also had a flock of over a
dozen PINE GROSBEAKS in the conifers around the small orchard.

Also here I found a Samyung lens cap.  If you have lost one, let me know.

DIRECTIONS to the Solitaire:
>From I-190 in Buffalo or Niagara Falls, proceed north to Rt. 104 eastbound.
Ontario birders should cross at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge and
immediately exit after customs, following the signs to Rt 104 eastbound.
Stay on Rt 104 eastbound when you reach the Village of Lewiston at the
bottom of the escarpment - you have to exit the limited  access highway.
Proceed east about 4 miles to Dickersonville Road (there is a church on the
southeast corner) and turn right (south).  In about 1/4 mile, the road will
bend to the left and soon will pass Blacknose Spring Road, which comes down
off of the escarpment on your right.  Proceed another 150 yards or so to the
first road (a dirt lane) on your right.  It is across the street from the
second house on your left.  Pull over here without blocking the lane. There
is an old sign saying, "Private Property No Trespassing" but I have it on
good authority that the sign is intended for vehicles only.  This is county
parkland.  Walk down the lane which runs north-south and start looking for
the Solitaire right away as the habitat is good.  As you walk, there will be
water on both sides of the road.  When the water begins to widen on your
right, after about 100 yards, is where I first saw the bird on the right
side.  This spot also gives a good view over the water to your left.  The
bird has been seen several times eating red berries (multiflora rose and
highbish cranberry) right by the lane on the west side as well.  A little
further down the lane, the water ends on both sides of the road and there is
a small inconspicuous path on your right.  We had excellent looks at the
bird from this path once.  Several times, the bird was in the conifers along
the edges of the small orchard that is just a few more yards down the lane
on your left.

Good birding!
Willie
--------