N. Shoveler, G-w Teal - Markham - Fri Feb 15

Frank Pinilla frankpinilla at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:09:31 EST 2002

Hi All,

I stopped in at "Coyote Pond", the depression on the north side of Hwy 7 in
Markham, just east of 9th Line & west of the Markham By-Pass.

While watching for about 20 minutes (hoping for the previously seen Snow
Geese, which I did not see) I watched as a male NORTHERN SHOVELER came in to
feed with the 500+ MALLARDS (the Shoveler is in a molting stage but coming
into it's breeding plumage), also shortly after this a female GREEN-WINGED
TEAL came in and then flew off.  Also whilst here an adult MERLIN (very dark
bird) flew by at a tremendous rate of speed.
There were also over 500 CANADA GEESE in the area and the Snow Geese are
likely still around but were probably feeding in nearby fields at the time.

Good birding,

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON