Lewis's Woodpecker

Ray Lush rlush1 at interhop.net
Mon Feb 11 21:47:19 EST 2002

Hi all,
I needed to make a trip from Toronto to Kingston Monday morning Feb. 11, so
I thought I would try for the Lewis's Woodpecker near Wooler. I no sooner
got out of the car to set up my scope and I could hear a woodpecker
drumming. My binoculars and scope confirmed that the Lewis's woodpecker was
in the tree immediately south of the farm house at 10:30 am. Sometimes you
just get lucky.

Directions to the Lewis's Woodpecker feeder, courtesy Don Shanahan:
Please respect the owners request of not going past the 911(#76) sign in
the middle of the picnic table. Take Hwy 401 exit 522 and travel NW on
county rd 40. At Wooler it becomes cty rd 5. Exiting Wooler you will see
St. Alphonsus Catholic Church on your left. App.0.9km past the church
turn right on Teal Rd. Almost immediately turn left on Leavitt Rd. The
road is narrow but there is a place to park on the left before you get
to #76.

Ray Lush
Hamilton Hall Dr
Markham Ont.