Gray Partridge, Brantford (one), American Widgeon Sayers Park

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 15 16:44:14 EST 2002

Today at 10:45 a.m., Tom Crooks and myself spotted one gray partridge
underneath an evergreen tree at the edge of the road on the airport property
adjacent to 235 Robinson Road.  The bird was between 235 and 219 Robinson
Road.  It flushed when we stopped the car and went into the airport
property.  This was a single bird likely the same one spotted in the same
area by Steve Charbonneau a couple of weeks ago.  It is unusual the only a
single bird has been seen twice however there are a great deal of tracks
which appear to belong to coyote.  Perhaps the flock has dwindled for this
reason.

On the way home we stopped by the lake to see if the eider was present.  One
bald eagle was spotted at Green Road over the lake.  At Sayer's Park two
American Widgeon were mixed in with Goldeneye and Long-tailed Ducks. Perhaps
early migrants? When we left the birds were floating toward the end of Grays
Road.

Good Birding
Cheryl Edgecombe

Directions to Partridge:  Exit the 403 at Rest Acres Rd. and travel towards
Brantford.
Turn left on Robinson Rd, which is only a couple of km from the expressway.
The edge of the field where the bird was seen was on the right hand side
just past house #235.

Grays Road/Lawrence Sayers Park (per Frank Pinella's previous posting)- exit
QEW (going toward Niagara) at exit 88 (Centennial Parkway) and go to the
North Service Rd. go east to Drakes Road,
go north and follow signs to Grays Road, turn towards the lake (north) and
stop at the end.  A better view is from the parkette (Lawrence Sayers),
which is 200m east of Grays Rd.

"Cheryl Edgecombe" <cheryle29 at cogeco.ca>