Lewis's Woodpecker (15 February)

Roger Clark erogclark at rogers.com
Fri Feb 15 19:58:58 EST 2002

Hi Ontbirders,

Dave Minns & I travelled from Ottawa this morning & found the Lewis's
Woodpecker around 10h.15.  It was very active, flying from the suet feeders
to the nearby trees & once down to the field on the north side of the house.
Several times we watched as it foraged along a wooden beam built into the
front wall of the house & once inside the roof guttering.  It was extremely
energetic & appeared in excellent shape.

Don't forget to sign the visitors' book on the picnic table!

Roger Clark
Ottawa
(613) 521-2623

Directions to the Lewis's Woodpecker feeder, courtesy Don Shanahan:  Please
respect the owners request of not going past the 911(#76) sign in the middle
of the picnic table. Take Hwy 401 exit 522 and travel NW on county rd 40. At
Wooler it becomes cty rd 5. Exiting Wooler you will see St. Alphonsus
Catholic Church on your left. Approx. 0.9km past the church turn right on
Teal Rd. Almost immediately turn left on Leavitt Rd. The road is narrow but
there is a place to park on the left before you get to #76.

"Roger Clark" <erogclark at rogers.com>