Ovenbird in Toronto Feb 17

Carol Horner chorner at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 17 11:57:33 EST 2002

Ontbirders

After an unsuccessful attempt to find the OVENBIRD in the rain
yesterday, I had a brief but good look at it in the bright sunshine
today at 1045. The bird was on the path, but flew off up the hill as a
pedestrian passed close by, and I was unable to relocate it. I speculate
that this bird might be easier to see during the week when there are
less people and dogs on the path. There are many active birds in this
area, and other species seen and heard over the two days include,
PILEATED, DOWNY and HAIRY WOODPECKERS, WHITE-BREASTED and RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCHES, BROWN CREEPER, CARDINALS, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, JUNCOS,
AMERICAN CROWS and BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES.

The entrance to Sunnybrook/Wilket Creek Park is on the west side of
Leslie Street, just north of Eglinton Ave. Drive down into the park,
keeping right until you see the restroom building. Park here. The area
around the restrooms is quite active and the Ovenbird was originally
seen here. Follow the pathway in front of the restrooms. The bird feeder
previously sited as a landmark was not there today. Look for the first
large evergreen on the right side of the path, the bird was at the base
of this tree today. Just beyond this tree is a raised manhole cover with
a green arrow and number 2 painted on it.

A word of caution if you are heading there today, the pathway is very
icy following yesterday's rain and today's drop in temperature.

Carol Horner
Toronto, Ontario
chorner at sympatico.ca
Carol Horner <chorner at sympatico.ca>