Algonquin Park: Boreal Ch., Gray Jay, Pine Grosbeak, Snow Bunting, etc.

Ethan Meleg emeleg at bmts.com
Sun Feb 17 19:53:04 EST 2002

Howdy Ontbirders,

It was a beautiful sunny weekend in Algonquin Park. As mentioned in previous Algonquin posts, the
total number of birds was low but a few of the northern specialties were still easy.

Opeongo Lake Road (at the gate)
Gray Jay (3)
Boreal Chickadee (1 or 2) - hung around this area for several hours, as an outlier to the BC
Chickadee group
Ruffed Grouse (2)
RB Nuthatches (3+ very tame!)

Visitor Centre (feeders)
Pine Grosbeak (a few, including males)
Gray Jay (2)
Common Redpoll (30+)
Hoary Redpoll (1) - thanks to John & Janet Foster for the tip-off
Snow Bunting (1)

Spruce Bog Trail (parking lot)
Gray Jay (2)

Mew Lake Campground (near the Yurts - camping huts)
Boreal Chickadee (1)
Gray Jay (1)

Happy birding!

Ethan Meleg (Tobermory)
Bird & Nature Photography
web: www.ethanmeleg.com
email: info at ethanmeleg.com

P.S. WANTED active Pileated Woodpecker nest info. I'm looking for active Pileated Woodpecker nest
holes this spring in southern/central Ontario to photograph. If you find one and would be so kind as
to share the info, please email me privately. I'll repay the favour with photos! Thanks.

Directions to Algonquin:
Algonquin Park is located east of Huntsville on Highway 60. Huntsville is
three hours north of Toronto via Highways 400 and 11. Locations in the park
can be found using the park tabloid map, which you can pick up at the gates
when you buy your day use permit.

"Ethan Meleg" <emeleg at bmts.com>