5 Gray Partridge @ Brantford + Bohemians and Bluebirds @ Long Point

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:12:24 EST 2002

Hi all!
     A cold and windy day, but at least I got #140 on my Winter List.
At 10:15 am I saw 5 Partridge in the NW corner of the airport field(corner
of Robinson and Green) and only about 100-150 feet from the roadside. As I
scoped this ridge, one happened to reach up for seed from the grass(I could
only see its head above the ridge). I had to back up 2 poles west of the
little rise to get a good angle and then saw there were 5 altogether. It was
sunny so I really enjoyed a good long look, and was hoping somebody else
would come along to share the view(I had seen 3 or 4 other vehicles
earlier).
    At 12:15 on Reg.Rd.#60(continuation of Hwy#24, west of #59) just west of
Hazen Rd. at the culvert past the bridge, I saw a good flock of birds
feeding on High-bush cranberries and Sumach. There were 4 Bohemian and 10/12
Cedar waxwings, 2 male and 2 female E.Bluebirds with a few House finches and
B.C. Chickadees.
   Lots of Tundra Swans, Redhead, Scaup and Canvasback at Port Rowan lookout
and on the bay side of causeway. At least 3 Rough-legged Hawks over Big
Creek(one light morph landed very close to the causeway for a good study).
Did not see much driving along Front Rd. to Port Dover, except for male and
female Cowbird at the feeders at #1980(?)
   Saw about 5 more R.L. Hawks and the occasional Horned Lark on the way
home. Stopped at Concession 2 at about 4:30 but nothing was moving at
all(still looking for Savannah sparrow for WL).  Cheers!
                                           Maris Apse - OFO SALES