Need help with Gull ID!! and Niagara Gulls and other Birds

BRLA Environment Center brla_birds at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 15:06:04 EST 2002

Hello!

I just returned from a wonderful weekend of bird watching around southern
Ontario from Fort Erie to Toronto.

The Gull's of the Niagara river were the highlight with 1 adult Glaucus
Gull, 1 second year Iceland Gull, 1 adult and 1 2nd year Lesser Black-backed
Gull, and a Laughing Gull which looked to me to be a adult in winter
plumage.

There is one gull that I need help with.  It was close to shore with a raft
of Ring-billed, Herring and the adult Lesser Black-backed.  It may have been
a California Gull, unfortunately I did not get to see its legs so I was
wondering if anyone can tell me if a third year Herring gull would be
sporting a full mantle (not the mottled coulor's of a third year) and still
have the black band and red spot on the bill of an adult??????

It was not as large as the Herring gulls around it so that adds to my
suspicion of a California Gull.

If anyone can help me pleas email me at cheffern at flemingc.on.ca

Other highlights of the trip included four NORTHERN MOCKING BIRDS, several
CANVASBACK DUCKS one below the falls and several further upstream on the
Niagara river, an adult PERIGRIN FALCON seen twice over the falls
themselves, and both a pair of NORTHERN PINTAILS and WOOD DUCKS present at
Dufferin Island Park.

Other species seen included BELTED KINGFISHER, TURKEY VULTURE, AMERICAN
KESTEREL, SONG SPARROW, REDHEAD, RING-NECKED DUCK, GREAT BLUE HERON, and
thousands of the common gulls and ducks of the lakes.

That's my major finds in the Niagara area for this weekend, a very pleasant
trip.

Chris Heffernan
cheffern at flemingc.on.ca