C. Loon, etc. - Cherry Beach and Leslie St. Spit, Toronto

The Alvo Family alvo at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 29 23:01:49 EST 2002

At 11:30 a.m. today there was a Common Loon seen from Cherry Beach, at the
bottom of Cherry Street in Toronto (this is on the waterfront just east of
the Don Valley Parkway). Other waterfowl seen in that bay, either from
Cherry Beach or from the west side of the base of Leslie St. Spit, included:
Oldsquaw, Buffleheads, Gadwall, Mute Swan, Coots, Greater Scaup, Common
Goldeneye (including one 1st winter male that had me going for a while,
thinking it was Barrows, but Sibley saved the day), Hooded Mergansers.

At the base of Leslie St. Spit, in the area west of the parking lot, we saw
a Sharp-Shinned Hawk and a pair of Green-Winged Teal, the latter in the
ponds immediately west of the parking lot. Leslie St. Spit is just east of
Cherry Beach and is also accessible by taking the Lakeshore east from the
Don Valley Parkway until Leslie St., then driving south to the end of
Leslie.

Jack Alvo
Toronto

"The Alvo Family" <alvo at sympatico.ca>