Easter Birding - Hamilton area/Newmarket area

Ronald J. Fleming ronaldj..fleming at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 31 19:15:15 EST 2002

Highlights of Easter weekend birding in south-central Ontario included

Friday -
BROWN CREEPERS and SONG SPARROWS at Shoreacres in Burlington;
CANVASBACK, SHOVELER, RUDDY DUCK, COOT, KINGFISHER, et. al. in Hamilton
Harbour;
CAROLINA WREN pair (seemingly with nesting material) in the work yard
area below the RBG Arboretum;
EASTERN BLUEBIRD, NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD and NORTHERN FLICKER at Fifty
Road where it meets the base of the escarpment near Grimsby;
WOOD DUCK, AMERICAN WIDGEON, HOODED MERGANSER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and
TREE SWALLOW at the Green Mountain Road quarry pond near Grimsby;
NORTHERN HARRIER (male and female) and several EASTERN MEADOWLARKS along
10th Road south of Ridge Road near Grimsby.

Saturday -
BALD EAGLE (immature) at Beamer C.A. above Grimsby;
HORNED GREBE (2) along the Burlington lakeshore near Appleby Line.

Sunday -
HOODED MERGANSER (9) at MacKenzie Marsh in Aurora;
RUFFED GROUSE (1) and BROWN CREEPER (2) along the Oak Ridges trail near
Mary Lake in King City.

Because of the number of locations listed here, please e-mail me
privately if you would like more specific directions.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket

P.S. Many thanks to the members of the Richmond Hill Naturalists who
joined me on Good Friday.  Sorry I got "our" eagle a day late!

"Ronald J. Fleming" <ronaldj..fleming at sympatico.ca>