Willet in East Windsor

randy horvath snorovich at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 18:55:59 EDT 2002

An impromptu trek through the agricultural fields east
of the Little River Wetlands this afternoon led to the
discovery of a huge flooded area that I couldn't
resist checking out closely. A good thing--in addition
to 14 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Greater Yellowlegs, and 15
Pectoral Sandpipers was a lone Willet that gave me
wonderful close viewing (I only have binoculars). This
looks like a great shorebird spot, as the area should
not dry up for some time, and the encroaching
development is off in the other direction. A Caspian
Tern was also present in company with a number of
Ring-billed and Bonaparte's Gulls, and a Yellow
Warbler was singing nearby in a hedgerow.
   (Thanks, Fred, you brought me good luck!)
 This spot is best accessed from Riverside Drive East
near Stop 26 Beach just west of the town of Tecumseh.
Take Clover Road south to where it ends at the
northern border of the fields. Park on the road and
walk right in. The flooded area is just to the right
(east) beyond a small stand of trees.
    Good birding!

     Randy Horvath
     Windsor, Ontario