Bruce Pen. Merlin Pair, cranes, wildflowers, etc.

Andrew Keaveney andrew_keaveney at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 19:01:29 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I'm up on the Bruce, birding for the remainder of this
week and fondeling over all other nature including
some early blooming wildflowers.

Today at Petrel Point (situated between Red Bay and
Pike Bay) on the lower Bruce I encountered a Pair of
MERLINS on what seemed to be their territory.  I had
been trying to photograph a Canada Goose nest with 3
eggs when I heard what sounded to be either an awkward
killdeer or kestrel.  It turned out to be neither, but
instead was a beautiful adult MERLIN perched not far
away.  It was sooned joined by its mate and they
allowed for decent photographs, not moving far from
their stationed perches.  If I get the chance to look
later in the breeding season, I'm sure that a nest
will turn up.

Also, on Saturday nite there were 2 SANDHILL CRANES in
a nearby field en route to Pike Bay along Daddy Weir
Road.  And an adult BALD EAGLE flew over the cottage 2
days ago in late afternoon.  2 Dragonflies in a boggy
area were quite a surprize so early in the season!

Other birds in full song in the area returning from
beyond include:

Winter Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Myrtle Warbler
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow (only a very select few
though!)
Eastern Phoebe
D-B. Cormorants (although not in full song!)
Common Loon
Ruffed Grouse
American Woodcock
Pileated Woodpecker

Wildflowers:

In bloom:

Coltsfoot, Marsh Marigold, Dwarf Canadian
Primrose-(correct me if I'm wrong)

Leafing/budding:

White Trillium, Trout Lily, Picture Plant

Directions:

This area is located in the lower western portion of
the Bruce Peninsula, adjacent to L. Huron, just west
of Mar (NW of Wiarton).  Take sunset drive north from
Howdenvale about 2 km. and St. Jean's Point is on your
left!

* Lake Levels are INSANELY LOW this year!!!

Andrew Keaveney (Birdman)
UofGtwitcher
andrew_keaveney at yahoo.com