Kingston Field Naturalists Region Sightings for Week Ending Apr. 27, '02

Bob Sachs rsachs at cogeco.ca
Sat Apr 27 11:34:46 EDT 2002

This report to the OntBirds system is based on sightings from the Kingston
Region that have been brought to the compiler's attention over the past
week.

Map Page numbers and location Quadrants noted in square brackets [...] below
are for named sites. They refer to the MapArt Publishing "Ontario Road
Atlas, 2000 Edition".

Map Page numbers and Quadrants in pointed brackets <.....> below are for
locations requiring more detail, refer to MapArt "Deluxe Street Atlas of
Eastern & Northern Ontario, 1st Edition"

The text of the Apr. 27, '02 KFN Sightings, from the KFN Phone Line
Announcement follows:

AMHERST I. [page 36, quad E54 &55]

Ken Kingdon reported highlights of his trip to AMHERST ISLAND on APRIL 21:
MERLIN, 1 at parking spot for KFN property, SPOTTED SANDPIPER, 3 at KFN
prop.,
LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 2 at KFN prop.,
AMERICAN WOODCOCK, flushed in the Owl Woods, NORTHERN GOSHAWK seen 4 times
hunting in the Owl Woods; beautiful looks!, TURKEY VULTURES in small kettles
of 8 birds
SAVANNAH SPARROWS, many along KFN shoreline GREATER YELLOWLEGS, KFN gravel
bar HARRIERS, KESTRELS, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, everywhere, RED-TAILED HAWK now
on a nest in the Owl Woods, BLUE-WINGED TEAL, one male at KFN gravel bar.
RUSTY BLACKBIRDS at the Fishing Village.

>From Paul Mackenzie: "On the KFN property Friday morning April 26th there
was one male EURASIAN WIGEON with 12 AMERICAN WIGEON. Also 7 BRANT along the
south shore of the property and on the fields 600 CANADA GEESE with one
immature SNOW GOOSE.
There were 4 UPLAND SANDPIPERS in the fields, and LESSER SCAUP, N.
SHOVELER, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, PINTAIL, a DUNLIN and SPOTTED SANDPIPERS at the
pond." NOTE: The EURASIAN WIGEON could not be found by Bud Rowe or Bob Sachs
on April 27. Bud did see several BRANT and Bob did see a SNOW GOOSE.

AMHERSTVIEW SEWAGE PONDS [page 36, quad D54]

Ken Kingdon reported for April 22: The NW pond at Amherstview Sewage Lagoons
has been drained, and for the next while it will provide excellent habitat
for shorebirds. Currently, there is a nice variety of many waterfowl (incl.
BLUE-WINGED TEAL - 2) and BONAPARTE'S GULLS. A RUSTY BLACKBIRD was also
seen.

>From Paul Mackenzie on April 26: "The low water level in the NW pond at the
Amherstview Lagoons is attracting ducks and shorebirds. Today there were 6
GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 8 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, a SPOTTED SANDPIPER as well as 6
CASPIAN TERNS and 30
BONAPARTES GULLS. Many BUFFLEHEAD, LESSER SCAUP, SHOVELER, and GADWALL.

FOOT of the RIDEAU TRAIL (Cataraqui Bay Marshlands C.A.) [page 36, quad
D56], <page 47, quad P13 & N13>

April 19, 2002 a single NASHVILLE WARBLER was observed by Ken Kingdon and
Bruce Ripley along the Rideau Trail head, 100m north of the King Street
parking lot (Little Cataraqui Creek Valley Conservation Lands).

Ken Kingdon reported: On Monday, April 22, 2002 during a snowfall with one
inch of snow on the ground, two (2) VIRGINIA RAILS were observed at the
boardwalk of the Rideau Trail off King Street by Ken Kingdon and Bruce
Ripley. They seemed almost as frozen as we were, but they responded well to
tapes, and one gave a close wonderful view through the flying snowflakes.

OTHER SIGHTINGS

Robert Johnson reported on Apr. 20 an early WOOD THRUSH in his backyard on
Woodbine Road <page 39, quad K5, 6, 7, & 8> on the morning of April 18th.

Mike and Liz Evans reported: Some sightings in Frontenac Park, April 21 -
RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS (pair), BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER and PINE WARBLER. [page
36, quad A56]

Paul Mackenzie reported for Apr. 21: "Somewhat surprised today to find a
pair of EVENING GROSBEAKS in a tree along the Howe Island Ferry Rd. [page
36, quad D57] just south of highway 2 . They took flight to the north out of
sight and I could not relocate them."

On April 22, Ken Kingdon reported: At Big Creek at Morven we had a SPOTTED
SANDPIPER today. Big Creek Rd. [page 35, quad D53]

Robert Johnson reported: "I am almost certian that I saw a female INDIGO
BUNTING, Apr. 23, in our backyard on Woodbine Road. <page 39, quad K5, 6, 7,
& 8> I know that this seems highly unlikely given the time of the year, but
according to the descriptions, photographs and drawings I found in four
different field guides, I remain convinced that my identification is
accurate."

Compiled by Bob Sachs, Kingston ON
<rsachs at cogeco.ca>

"Bob Sachs" <rsachs at cogeco.ca>