Glossy Ibis - Port Hope - Sun Apr 28

Frank Pinilla fpinilla at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 28 11:45:53 EDT 2002

Hi All,

My brother and I headed out to Port Hope early this morning and upon
arriving at the pond mentioned by David Geale, we found the Glossy Ibis
feeding along the edge of the pond.  It flew closer (within about 75m) and
fed some more, we were able to see the light blue facial skin (to separate
it from White-faced Ibis) and it appeared content even in the driving east
wind & rain.  It was seen directly across from the small lookout platform.
Also along the lake from this spot we had 2,000+ Double-crested Cormorants
migrating east to west.

We also stopped in at Second Marsh but the wind was so strong we couldn't
see that much, 1,000+ Bonaparte's Gulls all sitting on the water but as we
arrived there were some in flight and we did spot 2 adult Little Gulls.

Good birding,

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

DIRECTIONS:
Glossy Ibis (copied from David Geale):
Entering Port Hope on County Road 28 from the north, proceed south to Peter
St (intersection under the railway bridge). Turn left onto Peter St and
drive up the hill to the first set of lights. Turn right here and follow the
road along the lakeshore (it makes a left turn and follows the lakeshore) to
a parking lot at a sharp left curve. Park here and walk the trail east along
the lake. The pond is on the inland side 100 m along this trail.

Second Marsh:
>From HWY 401 on the east side of Oshawa, take the Harmony Rd./Bloor St. exit
south to Colonel Sam Dr., go left. Follow Col. Sam to the GM building and
parking lot  (on the west side of the GM building). Walk to the Observation
tower to the SW.

"Frank Pinilla" <fpinilla at sympatico.ca>