Pelee Bird Report - May 3 2002

Lea Martell friendsofpp at juno.com
Thu May 2 11:22:33 EDT 2002

Good morning birders!

I should begin by saying that I should have known better than to predict
future bird activity in the Park based on the weather report! As I had
mentioned on the May 2nd message, we were expecting periods of rain today
with relatively windy and cool conditions. Yes, we did get some rain
overnight, accompanied with some heavy gusts (as the campers at Sturgeon
Woods Campground would attest to), but conditions by morning had improved
considerably. The rain stopped and there was lots of bird activity.

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were abundant at the tip! Everywhere you looked
they could be both seen and heard singing. Also arriving in big numbers
were PALM WARBLERS (150+), CHIPPING SPARROWS, and another wave of
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS. Mixed in were several WARBLING VIREOS, a couple
CAPE MAY WARBLERS, BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO,
SCARLET TANAGER and a few ORIOLES (both species). On the east side, a
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW was observed along the beach.

Elsewhere in the Park, the Woodland Nature Trail continues to harbour
several noteworthy species. There are now 3 PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS near
the southernmost boardwalk. Also present there and in the near vicinity
are both LOUISIANA and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES, NORTHERN PARULA, CERULEAN
WARBLER, BLUE-WINGED WARBLER AND HOODED WARBLER.

In total, 20 species of warbler have been reported as of 11:00 a.m, but
NOT the HERMIT WARBLER :(

Outside the Park, 10 AMERICAN AVOCETS were discovered at Seacliff
Beach/Leamington Dock this morning.

Winds are supposed to change to the northwest tonight and remain that way
for tomorrow. Based on this information, bird activity could decrease,
stay the same, or decline.  :)

Good birding,

Karl Konze, Pete Read, and Phil Roberts
Staff, Friends of Point Pelee National Park
http://www.wincom.net/~fopp/
fopp at wincom.net
_______________________________________

Point Pelee Festival of Birds 2002 April 27 - May 27

- Birding Hikes (4 daily!)
- Hot Spot County Bus Tours (May 4, 5, 11, 12)
- Daily 1 pm workshops in the Visitor Centre
- Bushnell Sports Optics Clinic  (May 4, 5, 11, 12)
- "Keep the Songs Alive" Sweepstakes featuring 3 Grand Prize Packages
totaling more than $20, 000

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
Lea Martell <friendsofpp at juno.com>