NO Snowy Plover - Amherst Island - Sat Jun 8

Frank Pinilla fpinilla at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 10 11:50:10 EDT 2002

Hi All,

I know this is a little late but I haven't seen any mention of the Snowy Plover or lack thereof on ONTBIRDS over the weekend.  So, I just wanted to let people know that Norm Murr & I were there Saturday morning and did NOT see the bird, we were at the KFN property for over 2 hrs searching the grassy areas around the impoundment without any luck.  It was amazing how well even the larger shorebirds could hide in the grasses, so it could well have been there.

While there we did see at least 3 Wilson's Phalaropes, 8 Ruddy Turnstones, a very late Least Sandpiper amongst the 20+ Semipalmated Sandpipers, 5 White-rumped Sandpipers, 1 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Black-bellied Plover (as it flew away to the NW), 3 Common Snipe, a Blue-winged & 2 Green-winged Teal and a Common Loon flying over.  There were a few 1st year Bonaparte's Gulls hanging around at the gravel tip at the extreme eastern end and a 1st year Black Tern.  Along the "Owl Woods" road we had 2 Willow Flycatchers, 2 Brown Thrashers and a Grasshopper Sparrow.

At Amherstview Sewage Lagoons we had 4 Northern Shoveler, 3 Lesser Scaup, 11 Bonaparte's Gulls along with 1 immature LITTLE GULL, 4 Ruddy Ducks, amongst other things.  We left around 11am and ended the morning with 83 species.

At the KFN property, along the edges of the impoundment we saw 7 separate Water Snakes, one larger one (female, I presume?) was swallowing a good size Brown Bullhead, while a smaller (male?) was on top of her.

Regards & good birding,

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

DIRECTIONS:
Amherstview SL - From the west, take Hwy 33 through Amherstview (toward Kingston) and turn north/left along Coronation Blvd, turn left again after about 1km along Golf Course Rd, follow this to it's end and walk into the lagoons.

Amherst Island ferry ($5 return trip) - take exit off Hwy 401 for Millhaven Rd (Lennox & Addington Rd 4) south to Hwy 33, turn right/west and the ferry terminal is on your left, ferry leaves mainland every hour on the half hour beginning at 6:30am, leaving the island on the hour.

KFN Property - once you leave the ferry, turn left at the stop sign in Stella, following this road to the extreme south-east corner of the island (at a cattle corral), hop the fence at the access point and walk east for about 10 minutes, you will see the impoundment and you can walk the berm all the way to the eastern tip of the island.

Frank Pinilla <fpinilla at sympatico.ca>