Mississippi Kite at Pittock

Dave Martin dave.martin at odyssey.on.ca
Tue Jun 11 14:37:55 EDT 2002

Ontbirders

I am forwarding the following from James Holdsworth of Woodstock.

Dave Martin
*******
From: JmsHldswrth at aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:33:01 EDT
Subject: Mississippi Kite at Pittock

At about 10 this morning I had a 1st summer Mississippi Kite hawking
insects over
the trees just south of Roth Park. It was in active moult [missing inner
primaries]but had numerous near-adult features.

It looked like a giant nighthawk as it swooped and soared, really neat. It
eventually headed south, away from the lake, over Woodstock. I drove about 20
city blocks trying to refind it but did not.

Should keep a lookout, this bird could go anywhere.

Cheers to all
James Holdsworth
Woodstock
JmsHldswrth at aol.com