Shorebirds, Etc. At Port Perry

Brian Bailey b.p.bailey at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 15 00:48:07 EDT 2002

On Friday afternoon, I visited the Port Perry Sewage Lagoons and found good
variety and numbers of shorebirds.  (Sorry for the late posting, I haven't
been back to my computer until now.)  The birds were quite active, so
estimating numbers was difficult, but I found the following shorebirds:
Killdeer (50+)
Greater Yellowlegs (10+)
Lesser Yellowlegs (50+)
Solitary Sandpiper (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (50+)
Least Sandpiper (20+)
Common Snipe (1)
WILSON'S PHALAROPE (1)
Birds were mainly in the second and third lagoons, especially at the south
end.  The Snipe stayed in the grass on the north side of the 3rd lagoon and
never flushed.  The phalarope was on the mudflats at the south end of the
third lagoon.

Other species of note of the 36 found in and around the lagoons were:
Common Moorhen (1)
American Coot (1)
Rusty Blackbird (50+)
Trumpeter Swan (tagged #566 & 569)
Ruddy Duck (8)
Redhead (1)
Green-Winged Teal (16)
Blue-Winged Teal (3)
Caspian Tern (7)
Black Tern (5)
as well as Cedar Waxwings, a Great Crested Flycatcher, and at least 6
species of dragonfly.

Access to the lagoons is by permit only.  When you get your permit, make
sure you get the combination to unlock the gate as well.  This process is
new to everyone.  They forgot to give me the combination and I forgot to
ask, but the fence and gate are 8' high with barbed wire on top, so it is
very important!

Directions for permits and the lagoons as per Geoff Carpentier:

Cost $5.00/person

Where to get permit - 1623 Reach St., Port Perry - go north on Hwy 12 from
Whitby through Manchester/Port Perry to Reach St and turn east ... you are
out the country now, so don't be alarmed ... the permits are housed at the
Waste Transfer Station on the north side of the road.

Phone 905-985-7973

Hours of operation .... Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 8 a.m. to 4
p.m, Thursday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Lagoons are located one road north on Scugog Line 8 ... use the east
entrance.

Brian Bailey
Toronto
b.p.bailey at sympatico.ca