RED HEADED WOODPECKER & AMERICAN KESTREL FAMILY

Markus J. Lise markusonmill at speedline.ca
Sat Jul 20 14:25:46 EDT 2002

Hello Fellow Birders,

Esther Allin & I sighted a RED HEADED WOODPECKER this morning on Braggs Rd.
0.5 km. north of Highway # 2 between Bowmanville & Newcastle this morning at
around 0730 hours.  He was busy stuffing the cracks of the utility poles
with DOGWOOD berries from across the road.

We walked the path to the lake along the Samuel Wilmot Nature Center and
heard many birds and saw the following:  SONG SPARROWS, ROSE BREASTED
GROSBEAK, YELLOW SHAFTED NORTHERN FLICKERS, BELTED KING FISHERS, GREAT BLUE
HERONS, AMERICAN KESTREL FAMILY by their nest above the sewage plant as we
waded through the mouth of the Wilmot Creek by the lake, GOLD FINCHES.

Directions:  Take exit from Highway # 401 by Bowmanville or Newcastle or
Highway # 115/35 and turn on Highway # 2 till you get to Braggs Rd. and turn
north 0.5 km.

Once you are back on Highway # 2 turn east towards Newcastle and turn
right/south till it runs dead into Samuel Wilmot Nature Reserve.  Park your
car in the parking lot just east of Wilmot Creek Villa and start walking
towards the lake and wade across the creek to catch the path by the sewage
plant and find the Water Front Trail back towards Wilmot Creek Villa.

Esther Allin
Markus Lise
Newcastle, On.

"Markus J. Lise" <markusonmill at speedline.ca>