[Fwd: Bird Sightings]

Bruce and Bea Patterson brucep at mnsi.net
Mon Aug 5 13:17:07 EDT 2002

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Bird Sightings
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 00:12:33 -0700
From: "Michael Sloly" <msloly at rogers.com>
To: <brucep at mnsi.net>
CC: <msloly at cch.ca>

Bea, as promised, here are the most uncommon sightings of my recent,
most enjoyable trip to Wheatley and the Essex County area.

30/07/02    Yellow-billed Cuckoo at 7:40 a.m. in Kopegaron Woods - seen
clearly with binoculars with the sun behind me - searching the leaves of
a tall, broad-leafed tree bordering the parking lot.

31/07/02    Yellow-headed Blackbird (a female or first winter male) seen
at about 11:30 a.m. on a dead tree and then in flight, with binoculars,
at Lake St Clair NWA.

02/08/02    About four Fulvous Whistling Ducks seen in the marsh at
Holiday Beach, standing on a small sand spit with a Great Blue Heron and
observed at length with binoculars.  Two of the four were facing me
front on and the other two had their backs to me, facing away.  The
orange buffy underparts of the two facing me was the first  feature
which caught my eye.  The backs of the two birds facing away from me
were very dark - almost black.  I am sure they were not autumn eclipse
Mallards.  There were other ducks in the marsh - Black Ducks and
Gadwalls.  There were also over one hundred, possibly several hundred
Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons (combined) almost carpeting the
entire, extensive marsh area.

01/08/02    Several Lapland Longspurs seen in a tall grass field at the
side of the main trail at Hillman Marsh at about 8:00 a.m.

Thanks again to both Bruce and Bea for doing so much to help make our
stay in Wheatley so pleasant.

Regards,

Michael Sloly

Bruce and Bea Patterson <brucep at mnsi.net>