status of Cranberry Marsh for autumn birding

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Aug 7 09:50:30 EDT 2002

The regeneration programme which has been underway at Cranberry Marsh,
southwest Whitby,ON, has resulted in VERY TALL vegetation. In the long run
this is undoubtedly good--witness several bird species having nested
successfully.
I HAVE ELECTED TO SEND THIS MESSAGE OUT TO BIRDERS SIMPLY TO ENSURE THAT
THEY REALIZE THAT BIRDING FROM EITHER OF THE .WEST PLATFORMS (entered from
HALL'S RD.) WILL BE LIMITED TO AUDIO, BIRDS IN FLIGHT and whatever
shorebirds might visit the limited mud flats.

By the end of August the Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch will be in full
flight--viewing, identifying and recording the migrating hawks as they fly
over our heads. The station is the platform at the end of the south pathway
near the foot of Hall's Rd.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING: a) inform others of the website --
www.gtrw.ca
and b) any help you or friends could give to the CMRW would be appreciated,
particularly on weekdays; my time this year will be severely limited during
the whole of September and up to mid-October; PLEASE E-MAIL ME IF YOU CAN
HELP ON  any specific day/s--I will train you with the procedures.

Hall's Rd. is one block east of Lakeridge Rd., south off Victoria/Bayly in
southwest Whitby. Just short of the lakefront is a parking lot at the entry
pathway.

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW 2002

"Doug Lockrey" <lockrey33 at rogers.com>