Port Stanley Whooper Swan Update

Andrew S. Ross andysross at rogers.com
Wed Aug 7 21:54:52 EDT 2002

Hello Again,
After receiving many e-mails concerning the Whooper Swans at the Port
Stanley Sewage Lagoons, I decided to go back for another look. From 7:00 pm
to 8:30 pm, the birds were actively feeding on aquatic plants, preening,
and not so actively sleeping. I was able to get considerably better closeup
photos using the digi-scoping method. Those photos can be found at the
bottom of the message (they are worth checking out). Several people have
let me know that the birds do not have leg bands of any kind. I was also
able to talk to a couple local folk who claim the birds have been there at
least two weeks, and they have not heard of anyone missing Swans. If these
birds are escapees, they have gone back to their wild ways.

Directions to the Lagoons:
Going South on Hwy 4, turn right on Warren Street (there is a baseball
field and skateboarding park on this corner). Continue straight on Warren
Street, over the bridge. You will come to a stop sign. Continue straight
after this sign, up a winding gravel road for about 1 km. You will then see
a gravel road named Scotch Line. Turn right on Scotch Line and the Lagoons
are 1 km on the left. The Swans are in the fourth lagoon, easily seen on
the second observation deck.

http://members.rogers.com/andysross/WhoopSwan10.JPG
http://members.rogers.com/andysross/WhoopSwan9.JPG
http://members.rogers.com/andysross/WhoopSwan8.JPG