BLACK BELLIED PLOVERS & YELLOW LEGS south of Newcastle

Markus J. Lise markusonmill at speedline.ca
Thu Aug 8 15:02:18 EDT 2002

Hello fellow birders,

I sighted 2 BLACK BELLIED PLOVERS, 1 GREATER YELLOW LEGS, 1 LESSER YELLOW
LEGS, 2 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 2 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, 12 KILLDEER, 1 GREEN HERON,
1 BELTED KING FISHER, 1 RED TAILED HAWK, all by the shallow pond south of
the Kaitland Sub Division at the end of the Port of Newcastle Drive.  There
were hundreds of thousands of SWALL0WS on the dirt field as well.

I also had the privilege of seeing a HARRIS HAWK, AMERICAN KESTRELS,
PEREGRINE FALCONS who are trained by a Falconry from Barrie to protect the
Blue Berries on the 3rd Concession just west of Highway 115/35.  Tomorrow
morning will be their last stint for the summer at 0600 hours.  If anyone
wants to see these Birds of Prey in action you are welcome to come and see
them tomorrow till around 1400 hours when they will be caged again.  I spoke
to the owner who was more than happy to have me come down first thing in the
morning and bring my camera and she would introduce me to the owner of the
Birds.

Directions:  Turn south off Highway # 401 on the Mill St. S. exit by
Newcastle and take the Port of Newcastle Drive to the lake and turn left
towards the Port of Newcastle and along a stretch of shallow pond north of
the lakeshore road are several shorebirds as well as SWALLOWS.

For the Birds of Prey above the Blue Berry patches take Highway # 115/35
till you get to Concession 3 and travel 2 - 3 km. for the two patches of
Blue Berries towards the west.

Markus J. Lise
Newcastle, On

"Markus J. Lise" <markusonmill at speedline.ca>