Kingston Field Naturalists Region Sightings for Week Ending Aug. 10, '02

Bob Sachs rsachs at cogeco.ca
Sat Aug 10 04:50:24 EDT 2002

This report to the OntBirds system is based on sightings from the Kingston
Region that have been brought to the compiler's attention over the past
week.

Map Page numbers and location Quadrants noted in square brackets [...] below
are for named sites. They refer to the MapArt Publishing "Ontario Road
Atlas, 2000 Edition".

Map Page numbers and Quadrants in Open Brace brackets {.....} below are for
locations requiring more detail. They refer to MapArt Deluxe Street Atlas of
Eastern & Northern Ontario, 1st Edition. CHANGE FROM Pointed Brackets <...>
TO Open Brace is due to problems when copied to HMTL web sites.

This is a copy of the Aug. 10, '02 KFN Phone Line Announcement, with added
detail for locations:

AMHERSTVIEW SEWAGE LAGOONS [page 36, quad D55] {page 44, quad N3}

Bruce Ripley reported on Aug.. 6: WHITE-RUMPED, LEAST, SEMIPALMATED and
PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, KILLDEER, SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, LESSER YELLOWLEGS and
SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

On Aug.. 6, late afternoon, I found no WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER but the others
mentioned above were present along with 2 STILT SANDPIPERS, 1 SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHER, 6 WILSON'S PHALAROPE, 5 BLUE-WINGED and 20 GREEN-WINGED TEAL,
several GADWALL and N. SHOVELER, lots of BANK BARN & TREE SWALLOWS.

OTHER SIGHTINGS

Bruce Ripley reported 2 male BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS on Aug. 6 off hwy.
506, near the intersection of Hwy 506 and the northeast end of North Rd.
[page 63, quad V52] (This is well north of the Kingston 50 km. circle.
Butterflies included 2 SILVER-BORDERED FRITILLARY, 1 GREAT-SPANGLED
FRITILLARY , 2 MONARCH BUTTERFLY, 2 COMMON WOOD NYMPH, 1 PECK'S SKIPPER and
many DUN'S SKIPPERS.

At Cartwright Point we still hear HOUSE and CAROLINA WRENS. On Aug.. 7 A
neighbour reported hearing an E. SCREECH OWL calling. Aug. 7 a 3 foot
LONGNOSE GAR (fish) rested by our dock and AUG. 8, we had 3 MINK fighting by
their burrow beside our dock, also a WHITE-TAILED DEER doe with 2 fawns on
our driveway. Returning bird migrants seen on the point this week included a
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, RUBY-THROATED
HUMMINGBIRDS, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERS, E. KINGBIRDS, E. PHOEBE and E.
WOOD-PEWEES [page 36, quad D56], {page 48, quad N 20}

Compiled by Bob Sachs, Kingston ON

<rsachs at cogeco.ca>

"Bob Sachs" <rsachs at cogeco.ca>