Lake Erie Shore - Yellow-cr. Night-Heron, Whimbrel

Willie D'Anna & Betsy Potter dannapotter at wzrd.com
Sat Aug 10 20:15:37 EDT 2002

Today, Saturday, I led the Ontario Field Ornithologist's Erie Shore field
trip.  The highlight was the juvenile YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON that Betsy
Potter and I found before the trip started and that was still there when we
brought the group back just after noon.  I was able to digiscope the bird
(not that close but recognizable) and hopefully, some pictures will be on
the OFO web site soon.  As previously posted, the Night-Heron was in a pond
near the south end of and on the west side of Cement Plant Road.  The bird
was in the southwest corner of the pond in the afternoon.  In the morning it
had been about 150 yards north of there.  Cement Road goes south off of Hwy.
#3, a mile or two west of the City of Port Colborne, and ends at Lakeshore
Road.

FIELD TRIP REPORT
About 30 birders met at the entrance to Rock Point Provincial Park, south of
Dunnville, for the trip.  There were good numbers and variety of shorebirds
at the park (12 species), including 1 almost colorless adult SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHER,  at least one BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (also seen at three or four
other stops), two WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, a single SOLITARY SANDPIPER (seen
by only a single solitary birder), and a fly-by WHIMBREL.  There were
several CASPIAN and COMMON TERNS, BONAPARTE'S GULLS, and both COMMON and
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS.  Lots of YELLOW WARBLERS and BALTIMORE ORIOLES were
flitting through the willows at the back of the beach, where we also had a
SCARLET TANAGER and many other songbirds.  A CAROLINA WREN was singing as we
returned to our cars.

We skipped several spots that I had checked before the trip and found
unproductive, stopping next at Reebs Bay (across from the cemetery, a few
miles west of Port Colborne).  There were quite a few peeps here including
the first juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper of the day (and my first of the
year).  Our next stop was the pond on Cement Plant Road, where the juvenile
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON that Betsy and I had found earlier was still
residing.  I think we could have ended the trip there and sent everyone home
happy!  We also added two GREAT EGRETS and two GREAT BLUE HERONS but could
not find the Black-crowned Night-Heron, a first-summer bird, I had seen
there in the morning.

At Windmill Point, an adult and immature RED-HEADED WOODPECKER called and a
CAROLINA WREN sang as we ate our lunch.  At the east end of the point, off
of Stone Mill Road, we had 13 BLUE-WINGED TEAL with one GREEN-WINGED, and
our first GREATER YELLOWLEGS.  An eclipse male BUFFLEHEAD was a very unusual
find in summer.  An immature BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON flew in, filling the
last hole on our North American night-heron list.

At the foot of Buffalo Road, we added one more BLUE-WINGED and one more
GREEN-WINGED TEAL and another GREAT EGRET.

At the foot of Kraft Road, our last stop and just a couple miles west of
Fort Erie, we had a nice mix of shorebirds, several dozen COMMON TERNS, and
a fairly close WHIMBREL.  Our 69th and last species of the day was a GREAT
BLACK-BACKED GULL (actually two).

Lots of interesting butterflies were also seen, including two Giant
Swallowtails.

Thanks to Maris Apse, Branden Holden, Jean Iron, Kevin McLaughlin, and Ron
Pittaway for spotting lots of the good birds and discussing some of the more
challenging identifications.  Thanks to the many participants for their
enthusiasm which made the trip a joy to lead.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter